Friday, January 20, 2012

The Artist (2011)




Directed by   Michel Hazanavicius
Written By Michel Hazanavicius
Starring Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo and John Goodman


I could complain about this film quite a bit. First of all, it’s a film about filmmakers… that type of story within a story is a huge red flag… Also, our main character is a main character actor… you see where I’m going with this?

Not to belittle the story line but I don’t feel so bad for a rich actor who looses the limelight. To me that just seems obvious. Also, I tend to dislike films that have children or animals as main characters because they get away with cheap cuteness and easy adoration. The Dog in this movie is a Jack Russell and it is adorable…

Now, that I’ve ripped the story a new one, I want to say… “GO SEE THIS FILM.” I’m not saying that because it’s amazing, brilliant, or hilarious, it isn’t. But I promise no one will even attempt something like this again for a long time.

 There is nothing like sitting in a theatre watching a silent film. It’s an experience to sit in a crowded room of people… in the dark… and be silently watching a flicker of lights on a screen. This kind of movie makes the viewer self-aware.

Top 5 rating. Great film told through action and emotion. It brings me back to my film school days watching old Charley Chaplin films and talking about production politics and film sequences. Go see this film. It’s a new experience for filmgoers of our modern era. 

No comments:

Post a Comment