Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy (2011)




Written By Bridget O’conner & Peter Straughan, John le Carre (novel)
Starring Gary Oldman, Colin Firth and Tom Hardy
Directed By Tomas Alfredson

Who doesn’t love Gary Oldman? Really! He carries every character he plays with such confidence and zeal. I could watch this guy act for a lifetime. And so far I have.

Colin Firth is an interesting character also. He plays an aloof jackass but his character is likable which creates a confusing experience. He is possibly a genius or a tool but either way he can carry a role. Besides he was amazing in The King’s Speech… 

Frankly this was an all-star cast and a thriller novel with a following. It was going to be well receive no matter what. Maybe I am expecting to much but I felt like this was done poorly. It could have been done in a much more thrilling way. I love suspense, mystery, espionage, and even psychological thrills but this film didn’t seem to pick anything specific to enhance the story.  It was shot as a book in picture form.

I did enjoy the story but almost as if it was a commercial to read the book…

Bottom 5 rating. Not the greatest movie ever but it ends well. The problem is the characters are not fleshed out and the goal of the story is not really capitalized. I enjoyed the movie but it wasn’t British enough for me. It wasn’t compelling enough to invest emotionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment