Monday, February 6, 2012

The Descendants (2011)




Written by Alexander Payne, Nat Foxon, Jim Rash
Kaui Hart Hemmings (novel)
Directed by Alexander Payne
Starring George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Nick Krause

This is a sad movie. This movie is about a dying wife, and family falling apart and a culture slowly being run out by business tycoons and tourism.

George Clooney is the main character… of course. He is a father to Shailene Woodley and these two set off to find a mystery man who they have a quarrel to settle with. The chemistry between Clooney (51) and Woodley (21) is kinda off putting. Even with the assumed father daughter relationship the cuteness kinda turns to a co-dependence / creep vib that I couldn't really shake.

I was excited to see this movie. I heard it was really good and the reviews were uplifting.
Unfortunately this movie kinda depressed me. The entire movie is full of heartbreak and broken promises. No one is very happy with the situation and it’s slow to movie the story forward. Ultimately, you know what’s going to happen and it’s sad when it does.

The movie tries to leave you on a happy note but I was not persuaded. I assume the book was very touching and sincere but not all great books make great movies. I’m afraid I have to fit this film into this kind of category.

Bottom 5 Rating. Clooney can do better. He doesn’t need a sympathy vote. I would like to see him make a film that really expresses something in a more profound way. This film had the potential but didn’t quite connect with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment